Writers' Trust is hiring!
Communications Manager (18-month Parental Leave)
Start date: May 16, 2022
Application Deadline: May 6 or until the position is filled
About Writers’ Trust of Canada
Writers’ Trust of Canada is the only organization of its kind in the world. No other country has a charity that supports its literary community in the same way and on the same scale as Writers’ Trust. WT administers a portfolio of literary programs that includes 11 annual awards; mentorships for emerging authors; a writers’ retreat in Dawson City, Yukon; a prestigious fellowship; and an emergency fund for writers in crisis. WT celebrates and encourages our nation’s storytellers throughout the arc of their careers, enabling them to stand at the forefront of Canadian culture. Canadian writers receive more financial support from WT than any other non-governmental organization or foundation in the country.
WT is a small team that collaborates well and consistently to make a big impact. The WT office is in downtown Toronto. Staff are currently working remotely and will be moving to a hybrid model in the future. Candidates should be located in the Toronto area.
Working alongside the fellow Manager of Communications and reporting to the Director of Author Programs, this role will play an important part in communicating WT efforts to our stakeholders.
- Deliver high-quality campaigns mindful of storytelling and design for social media, print, web, and digital WT materials
- Create and foster partnerships with media, influencers, literary organizations, book sellers, writers, etc.
- Manage vendors and suppliers for communications projects
- Help compile quarterly reports to the board, communications committee, sponsors, and staff
- Ensure best practices with respect to database management and maintaining current contact records with accurate information
- Maintain a 12-month view to balance the full suite of public events, campaigns, and announcements
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to create and deliver design items using Adobe Creative Cloud — Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro. (Illustrator is a bonus.)
- Expert content creation from brainstorming and planning to execution (copy, photos, videos, gifs, audio) on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter (Tik Tok is a bonus), with keen understanding of opportunities and risks in a digital world.
- Knowledge of file types and delivery requirements for print, web, digital, audio, and video
- Comfort with technology tools such as website CMS, Sumac database
- Proficiency in email marketing using Mailchimp
- Live and digital event production with program department, including livestreams, audio/video recordings, etc.
- Superb grammar with strong copywriting, copyediting, and proofreading skills
You may be perfect for this job if you:
- Possess an interest in books and reading and are excited about contributing to the health and vitality of Canada’s writing community through your communications skills.
- Know the difference between .png, .pdf, .psd, .eps, .mp4, .srt, files (and more!)
- Can confidently create creative digital content
- Know how and when to export cmyk files at 300 dpi
- Can spot a typo from a mile away
- Can write engaging and informative copy quickly and efficiently
- Know the difference between Instagram highlights, stories, and the grid
- Enjoy attending in-person events and building relationships with writers and readers
- Think of social media as an art form
- Understand how messaging differs based on audience
- Are very comfortable learning new tech and have some innovative tools up your sleeve
- Understand how to optimize photos, videos, and graphics across platforms
How to Apply
Writers’ Trust of Canada is committed to the values of equity and inclusion. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented or marginalized. We will make accommodations to enable applicants with disabilities to participate in the interview process.
Applications should include a cover letter and resume and will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send your application to executive director Charlie Foran at email@example.com
The ideal start date for this position is May 16 2022. While we appreciate all expressions of interest, only those individuals being seriously considered will be contacted.
For more information about Writers’ Trust of Canada, please follow @writerstrust on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook and visit writerstrust.com